The cut & dry nature of the favoritism shown to Atkins, the OCPD’s transparent ass-covering and MADD’s justification (in light of the organization’s past heavy handedness) give this story legs that will not quit.
DUI Blog

Reason

Reason is the libertarian magazine. The Atkins piece was written by Radley Balko. According to his bio, “(Blako) is a columnist for FoxNews.com and has been published in the Wall Street Journal, Playboy, Time, the Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, Slate, Forbes, the National Post, Worth, and several other newspapers and magazines. Balko has also appeared on the BBC, CNN, CNBC, Fox News Channel, NPR, and MSNBC.”

It could make the jump from Reason to any number of national news/opinion outlets. ( Hube picked up the Reason story. )

IN OTHER ATKINS NEWS:

MILLSBORO — State Rep. John Atkins, R-Millsboro, may have another well-publicized encounter with a police officer. His next election opponent may be a high-ranking state trooper.

Atkins, who was stopped by Ocean City police and arrested by Millsboro police in separate incidents shortly before his November re-election, could be challenged in 2008 by Delaware State Police Maj. Randall “R.L.” Hughes. (snip)

A Hughes-Atkins race in the 41st Representative District would pit a political newcomer who has an extensive law enforcement background against a four-term legislative veteran who recently pleaded guilty to a domestic-violence charge and has endured suggestions that he abused his authority in a drinking-and-driving case.

I don’t know if Lifflander is interested in going again, but this is the reason the Dems needs honest, open primaries. Like this 41st district race, so many races in ’08 will be settled in the Democratic primary that it is essential voters do not feel the party leadership is installing handpicked candidates in Legislative Hall through backroom deal cutting.

IN OTHER MADD NEWS:

Canandian Health Science Association cuts ties with MADD over funding scandal

Toronto Star report says 81% of donations go to fund-raisers and
administration; 19% ends up in programs to fight drunk driving

Edmonton (4 Jan. 2007) – The Health Sciences Association of Alberta (HSAA/NUPGE) has ended its association with Mothers Against Drunk Driving Canada (MADD) after a Toronto Star investigation concluded that only 19% of donations go to its primary cause. The remaining 81% is gobbled up by fundraisers and administration.

Advertisements